Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Where the Crawdads Sing
By
Delia Owens
"The problem with a good book is that you want to finish the book but you don't want to finish the book."
This is how I felt reading Where the Crawdads Sing. I was gifted this book and it's one of the best book gifts I have ever been given. I was drawn into the story and couldn't/didn't want to come out of it. The author wrote a story that had my heart aching for the life Kya found herself abandoned to. Living in a shack, in a marshland, relying on herself to survive. Ms. Owens writing is so wonderfully descriptive that I could envision every little detail and felt like I was actually in the marshes, watching nature and boating in the bay, trying to survive with Kya. The strength she had to fight and survive, the resourcefulness she had to figure out and to protect herself, and the loneliness she had to fill with the critters in her world held me captivated. It was a book that took me on this journey that was so astoundingly beautiful but yet painfully tragic in so many ways.
I highlighted so many passages that were touching, descriptive and really visually painted this touching story....
Kya: "That's what nobody understands about me." She raised her voice, "I never hated people. They hated me. They laughed at me. They left me. They harassed me. They attacked me. Well, it's true; I learned to live without them."
"Standing in the most fragile place of her life, she turned to the only net she knew---herself."
"Let's face it, a lot of times love doesn't work out. Yet even when it fails, it connects you to others and, in the end, that is all you have, the connections."
"What d'ya mean, where the crawdads sing? Ma used to say that." Kya remembered Ma always encouraging her to explore the marsh: "Go as far as you can-way out yonder where the crawdads sing."
I have been touched to my core reading this book. It is absolutely one of the best books I have ever read. The way it's written, I could see the story in my mind perfectly. I love this book. It was written with a timeline that blended from the past, 1930's to the book's present time, late 1960's. It worked perfectly for me.
This is Ms. Owen's first novel and I'm blown away. I can't wait to read what she writes next!
I am in an end of the book haze just savoring what I read.
This is a book I would give way more than five stars if I could.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely loved this book as well! I listened to it via Audiobook and felt like I was watching a movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I can imagine how awesome it would be to listen to the audio version! I can't wait for the movie!

      Delete

Christmas Memories By Nancy Carey Johnson If I could fill my  Christmas stocking with goodies and stories it would be filled to over flowing...