Wednesday, May 6, 2020


A Million Little Lies
By
Bette Lee Crosby

"We tell lies when we are afraid....afraid of what we don't know, afraid of what others will think, afraid of what will be found out about us. But every time we tell a lie, the thing that we fear grows stronger." Tad Williams

This is the story of Suzanna Duff. I think the biggest lies we tell are the ones we tell ourselves. This is Suzanna's dilemma....the lies are easier than the truth. Another thing we are harder on ourselves about is believing in love and forgiveness. This, too, is an issue with Suzanna. Her conscience works on her and then her fears kick in. "With lies you may go ahead in the world, but you can never go back." Russian Proverb

Suzanna Duff is a young girl who has a rough way to go when her mother dies and leaves her to be raised by an uncaring, alcoholic father. To self-protect, she begins to tell little lies to make life bearable. What harm can that be? "To Suzanna her lie was not a deception but a necessary altering of the truth." Little lie upon little lie adds up and soon they become easier and easier to tell. The lies become easy to believe as truth. Her life becomes more complicated when she finds herself pregnant and her father tells her to leave. Her life is challenged as her little Annie grows and life isn't a bowl full of cherries with Earl...the guy she's been with since she left home. She has to go find a better life for Annie even if it's built upon lies. This is the beginning of a story that pulled at my emotions for Suzanna. Her character is one I felt for from the beginning. No one likes a liar but Ms. Crosby created Suzanna in such a way that I wanted to pull for her. I felt so much anxiety for her when her lies were close to being exposed. I loved this book. It's full of heart. It's full of what a family really is about. It's full of mistakes. But it's all about how love can overcome the messes that life can be. There's a surprise towards the end of the story that brought tears to my eyes. It's such a wonderful twist.

Bette Lee Crosby is a storyteller extraordinaire! When I open the pages of one of her books, I feel like we're sitting together on a cozy veranda and I'm full of anticipation for the journey I'm about to take. Her talent and gift of bringing a story to life is southern story telling charm at its best. A Million Little Lies holds all the essence of what makes Ms. Crosby one of my favorite authors to read. It's a story from her heart that tugged at mine as all her stories do. I'm so honored to have had the privilege of reading another five star plus book by this amazing author. Her stories make my life better because of the messages and hope that the words between the covers bring to me. I want to thank Ms. Crosby and Netgalley for the ARC of a touching and heartwarming story. All opinions and thoughts in this review are my heartfelt own. Five MILLION stars if I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Memories By Nancy Carey Johnson If I could fill my  Christmas stocking with goodies and stories it would be filled to over flowing...