Friday, January 24, 2020



A Light Last Seen
By
Grace Greene

"In the heart of Virginia, where the forests hide secrets and the creeks run strong and deep" is a place called Cub Creek.  A place that has meadows filled with colorful flowers and butterflies to chase.  Dirt roads and Cub Creek to jump over and disappear into the woods.  A living and rural place that draws the reader to the setting and the characters who have stories to tell.  A place with light and darkness and as unique as the characters who live there. 
When I opened the beautiful cover of this book I stepped into the Cub Creek world and met the main character, Jaynie Highsmith.  This is her story.   She wrapped herself around my heart from the very beginning of the book.  Jaynie is a little girl growing up with a mom who's harsh and has her priorities in the wrong order.  Jaynie avoids her as much as possible and in that she becomes friends with the grandmotherly neighbor, Ms. Ruth.  This sweet lady shares with Jaynie so much love, wisdom and advice. She tells Jaynie she has an "extra strong" light within her.  She tells Jaynie, "Most people start with it.  The light, that is.  Some have the glow stronger than others.  But most try to dim their own personal light so they can fit in, finally burying it beneath all the stuff-the rules, the griefs, the hungers of life-and forgetting the light was ever there."   Jaynie loves this lady so very much.  Grace Greene weaves these lessons throughout  the book as she takes us on Janie's emotionally touching journey.  It's not always easy for Jaynie as she tries to keep those wise words "in her toolbox" alive in her life. 
Grace Greene wrote a story that touched my heart.  It is filled with so much wisdom and lessons that I can apply to my life.  I appreciated the lesson involving the dragonfly.  The characters are real.  They have emotions that I can relate to. This book was page turning from the front cover to the back.  A true experience I found myself immersed in as I became connected to the characters and the beautiful writing that creates the images that drew me in.
Grace Greene is such a wonderful storyteller and "A Light Last Seen" is a wonderful story.  One that has a meaningful message about finding our true selves and letting the light within us shine.  Taking what life has dealt us and growing into a better person because of it.  Here is a passage of Janie's thoughts, "Thoughts of the dragonfly and Ruth's long-ago words seemed to entwine-own it or it will own you.  All will be well, I told myself.  One way or another.   I had the know-how and the tools, thanks to Ms. Ruth."
I want to thank Ms. Greene for the honor and privilege of reading an ARC of this remarkable work of fiction that I enjoyed so very much.  A bright five star read for me.  All opinions and thoughts in this review are my heartfelt own. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Memories By Nancy Carey Johnson If I could fill my  Christmas stocking with goodies and stories it would be filled to over flowing...