Tuesday, September 3, 2019


The Girl in the Aubergine Sandals
By
G.C. Allen
I am enthralled with this series! I know I am going on a wild and crazy, unusual and zany, hilarious and quirky experience when I read a book by G.C. Allen! I couldn't wait to read Book 3 in the Lorraine Innis series and I am totally excited that I did! I LOVED it!!!

Lorraine Innis is doubting herself after the shocking ending in "The Girl in the Diamond Studded Heels". How could she have been so wrong about Liverot? Or is she wrong? What's she going to do now? Why do things seem to go so wrong?

"The Girl in the Aubergine Sandals" is a story that takes the reader back into the beginning of Chesney's life and where he came from. What were the events that happened to him as he grew up that bring him to be the person he is? It's a story his mom starts to relive when Chesney/Lorraine calls her to ask questions he just doesn't know the answers to.

The characters in this book are uniquely individual and ones you will never forget. We meet Aunt Elinor and the impact she has on Chesney's life as he grows up. As Prudence, Chesney's mom, starts to go back into her memories, the story takes the reader back to the college days when she meets Elinor at their sorority house. Their initial introduction to each other is an amusing scene. It sets the stage for a series of assumptions between the two and starts off a string of situations. The story brings in Elinor's brother, Rodney and his arch rival, Paul. G.C. Allen throws in some outrageous characters in outrageous scenes that twist all these people together. They are the foundation of Chesney's life before he was born.

The story then transitions into Chesney's boyhood and his challenges of growing up. He has an older brother who picks on him constantly. A best friend he confides in. Parents who just don't seem to understand him. But then there's Aunt Elinor. She was an encouragement and an inspiration to him. He is special to her. "He had found someone who understood him perfectly and liked him for who he was. His parents loved him, Clodaugh liked him a lot and was rarely judgmental in her acceptance of him, but here was someone who "got" him."

I LOVE Aunt Elinor!

G.C. Allen's humor and wit bring her trademark quirkiness, zaniness and laugh-out-loud fun into this book. She also brought into the story how growing up can be heartbreaking, tough and guilt ridden. This all combines together to make Chesney the adult he becomes. Aunt Elinor bestows many things in Chesney's life with wisdom, understanding, compassion and love. She and Chesney are "cut from the same cloth". Their connection to each other is one of unconditional love.

The book is written with chapter titles that add so much to the book. I just can't help but turn more pages and see how those words become part of the story. I enjoyed the titles and how they drew me to read more to see how they tied into the next chapter. This is a feature that I really like.

So that leaves me with the question first stated. What is Lorraine going to do now? G.C. Allen left me with that unanswered question in a cliff hanger at the end of the book! I can't wait to find out what's in store for Lorraine as she continues her "mission" for justice in book four of this series called "The Girl in the Lime Green Wellies"!

I enjoy G.C. Allen's writing style and how it makes me feel. It's a feel good kind of read that goes in so many unexpected ways. This book is another unputdownable, can't turn the pages fast enough, read! For me this was the best book so far in the series! It's filled with all the things that make her writing uniqueness shine in the pages of her books. This is a five star read for me! Thank you, G.C. Allen, for this amazing read! Let the adventures continue!!!
"Every good and perfect gift is from above..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Memories By Nancy Carey Johnson If I could fill my  Christmas stocking with goodies and stories it would be filled to over flowing...