Friday, August 30, 2019


The Missing Ones
By
Edwin Hill
Hester Thursby has been through a very traumatic event in the first book by Edwin Hill, called Little Comfort. The Missing Ones picks up the story and ties up some loose threads.

What's happened to Daphne? She has left behind her little girl, Kate, with Hester and Morgan. Hester has become an over protective, helicopter mom/aunt to Kate after Daphne has disappeared by choice. Going through the horrific events, with Kate along, Hester has resorted to all kinds of self reasoning to lie to Morgan about where she and Kate are to protect her. "She hadn't realized how much danger lurked in secrets, or that some things-some people-were better left lost." Then one day Hester gets a mysterious message and life takes another turn that she must see it through.

Mr. Hill took me along with Hester to the tourist island of Finisterre, Maine. This island is beautiful and an ideal place to go and spend some time to relax and enjoy the summer. Except this island holds so many secrets and mysteries. Missing children, murders, drug dealing, corrupt cops, and most of all an old abandoned Victorian house that's the center of all the drama. "Here, on the island, in this house, your truth was what you wanted it to be." I was pulled into this underground world with Hester by the very descriptive and detailed writing of Mr. Hill. It was a read that was filled with "hold on tight" suspense and action. It was twists, turns, and drama that I felt I was in the center of. I even had such a vivid experience with walking into the old Victorian and the dilapidated conditions inside with the rottenness, filth and human uncleanliness.

The characters in this book are a wide range of personalities. Each one built up with characteristics that describe them completely. There are some that I connected to and liked. The main character, Hester, is unique and one I want to keep learning about and be with as she lives and learns what it takes to survive the situations and even the personal challenges she faces. Kate is a cute little girl and her personality just drew me in. There are characters I love and then the others who are the creeps and bad guys I can't stand. All this put together makes a novel that needs each one to bring this suspense thriller to a page turning "who done what" ending with twists that are a total surprise.

I am very grateful to Mr. Hill and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book. It's one that had me guessing and being surprised through out the pages. Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Memories By Nancy Carey Johnson If I could fill my  Christmas stocking with goodies and stories it would be filled to over flowing...