Thursday, July 11, 2019


When We Believed in Mermaids
By
Barbara O'Neal
There is nothing like the connection of love between two sisters and the bonds they share throughout their lives. This book is the story of two sisters, Josie and Kit, who are so close to each other growing up that it seems nothing would ever separate them from each other. Their bond is unbreakable, or so it seems. Secrets, heartaches, doubts, suspicions, and broken trust....will they be able to overcome so many hurtful events and find their sisterness again?

This story is about what can happen in life. Josie and Kit have a very awful and painful childhood with parents who are on the edge of neglectful. Josie and Kit come to depend on each other to survive and grow up. There is a wonderful character named Dylan who enters their lives and becomes a "big brother" and looks out for them. He has come from a troubled past himself. But events happen and their lives are turned upside down.

I fell into the pages of this book. It took me into the lives of these characters and wouldn't let me go. The narrative alternates between Kit's and Josie's points of view. As the story takes place in the current time, there are "flashbacks" to fill in the pieces of the broken lives they grew up with. Ms. O'Neal wove these pieces together like a masterpiece. My heart was broken for the heartaches and tragedies that Josie and Kit endured. It felt myself wanting to draw them in. To be there for them and heal their hurts. There was so much emotion in this book for me. I cried, I ached, I pulled for them to find their love for each other again. Would they be able to find it in their hearts to forgive and mend their relationship back to what it was?

I love the setting in this book. I felt like I have experienced Auckland and the beauty that it possesses. I was on the beaches with Kit and Josie. I was in the surf and feeling the solitude in the water surfboarding. I saw the landscapes and terrain. It was so descriptively written. A perfect setting for two girls who believed in mermaids growing up.

There was a bit of mystery written into the story, too. Sapphire House is intriguing. What happened to the famous actress, Veronica Parker, who was living in there? It was a thread throughout the book and a fascinating aspect to the story.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved being in the pages and connecting with the characters. I was yearning for them with all my heart. I went on a journey into the hearts and souls of these characters. It's one I'll remember for a long time.

I want to thank Lake Union, Netgalley, and Ms. O'Neal for the honor and opportunity to read this wonderful story. This is a five star read for me.

2 comments:

  1. I am reading this book now and am completely engrossed in it. (Would be reading now except one must eat, lol)...love the story behind it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for joining my blog and for the comment! This means a lot to me. It really does get inconvenient sometimes to stop and eat. LOL Thanks, again for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories By Nancy Carey Johnson If I could fill my  Christmas stocking with goodies and stories it would be filled to over flowing...