Sunday, October 25, 2020

 



The Book of CarolSue

By

Lynne Hugo

"There's an upside and a downside to every way of life. It was the downside of this life that I hadn't missed when I was in Atlanta." (CarolSue)

This book had my emotions jumping all over the place. What a heart tugging story of a family that drew me in from the first page. I haven't read the first book "The Testament of Harold's Wife" but I had no problem finding myself lost in the pages of this book and not feeling confused in the least bit. Ms. Hugo wove CarolSue's story with finesse, humor, heartbreak, and lots of family drama. CarolSue finds herself living with her best friend and sister, Louisa, back on the home farm in Indiana after her beloved husband, Charlie dies. This isn't what she expected at this stage in her life. How does she cope and what purpose will she have in this animal menagerie with family and friends that are off the "normal" chart?

Ms. Hugo has crafted her characters with amazing detail. Each one is as individual and unique as any I've read. They are written with deep convictions and emotions. I couldn't help but feel for them as the story evolved. She writes them into a story that is dramatic yet her humor lightens the seriousnesses. She places the characters in scenarios that are relevant to the times but she does it with sensitivity. I had my heart yanked apart at certain places in the book and yearned for a resolution that was satisfying to the characters and for me. Then there were scenes that I laughed out loud. Especially at the sarcastic lines. This story is filled with so much that made it a great read....like a Glitter Jesus, afternoon "napping", a baby that is missing a mother, and the "Plan" are among a few of them.

There are also profound lines that perfectly blend with the story and will stick with me for a long time. They made me think but also touched me with the insightful meanings.
"Isn't it strange how we think one thing is going to happen and then something so utterly different happens? Inside we are so disappointed and have no idea that life might just have handed us a huge gift. And it's so difficult to remember to be open to that possibility, isn't it? Because we never know when that might be the case."
"....love isn't measured in length of time, but in tenderness and gratitude."

This is a story of a famly's love for each other. Through the thick and thin of life's challenges, they stick together. It's not always pretty but it's the right thing to do. This was a great getaway read for me. I want to thank Ms. Hugo for the privilege of reading her very entertaining story. All thoughts and opinions in this review are my heartfelt own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Memories By Nancy Carey Johnson If I could fill my  Christmas stocking with goodies and stories it would be filled to over flowing...