Wednesday, August 5, 2020



No Place Too Far
By
Kay Bratt

"The gift of "ohana"-the Hawaiian word symbolizing family...." 

  Family is everything to the people of Hawaii.  Love, devotion, trust, and dependability.  All these things make a family that is bonded together no matter what.  The definition of family can be different for everyone.  In "No Place too Far",   Kay Bratt continutes the story from the first book in the series, "True to Me" of how Quinn has found her family in Maui after more than 30 years of being separated. But the past threatens the future. Part of the past is Quinn's best friend, Maggie, who's come to Maui with her young son, Charlie.  As soon as I opened this book up, I felt like I was right back with old friends and family.   Ms. Bratt has a story telling gift to create stories that pull at your heart.  Ones that have a message and meaning to them.   I know with a Kay Bratt novel,  I'm going on an emotional adventure with the characters to places that are as vividly detailed as if I were there myself.  She has such a gift of bringing the reader on an emotional journey and adventure with her characters. 

Quinn's past is one she's trying to keep secret in order to protect someone in her family.  Keeping secrets is all good until they aren't secret anymore.  Now she's in a dilemma of losing what took her so long to find again.  Will ohana be enough to overcome the challenges that threaten to ruin her place with them?  Will her "honu" be there to protect her through as it was before?  

Maggie has a past, too.  One that has haunted her and caused her to try to run from it and disappear.  One that she will do anything to keep her son, Charlie, safe from as well as herself.  But the past is in danger of catching up to them and shattering any sense of peace and security she's worked so hard to find.  "She wanted to be strong.  Competent. Self-sufficient."  Who will be there for her as she faces the worst?  

This is a story about family...related and unrelated...but bonded and connected by love.  This is a story about hardships, struggles, fears, guilt, secrets, and uncertainty.  But it's also about trust, determination, friendships that are more like family, traditions, and loyalty.  Ms. Bratt weaves in drama, suspense, and heart wrenching side characters with stories that bring it all together in an unputdownable read.  She throws in some mystery to add to the mix and kept me turning the pages.  

Not only do I become invested in the characters but the setting in this series is like a character itself by how brilliantly Ms. Bratt creates the scenes in word pictures I could visualize in my mind.  I was again taken on a philosophical and cultural tour of a place I have never been but totally feel like I learned so much about it through the characters and their experiences in Maui and the surrounding areas. It's a virtual visit that had me walking in the rainforest, hearing the waterfalls, smelling the flora, and seeing the lushness as if I were there. 

Then there's Woodrow...He stole my heart.   The true definition of the love of a dog for his owner.  Maggie's quiet shaggy service dog.  Kay Bratt's ability to tap into the devotion of a dog and put into words that faithfulness is truly from her love of dogs.  I knew that feeling in my heart with each passage Woodrow was written in.  "Woodrow looked up.  His soulful brown eyes locked on Maggie's, instantly calming her.  He had that way about him."  The subject of why Maggie needed a service dog touched close to home when I read the "From the Author" passages at the end of the book.  I am very grateful for her thoughts and candor.   Her heart to help others.  

Kay Bratt writes stories from her heart. I become a part of them as I'm reading them.  No Place Too Far is no exception.  I am very grateful for the opportunity of reading this novel. Kay Bratt brings it every time with her heart and emotions that pour out on the pages.  I will wait with anticipation for the next book in the series to see which character's stories Ms. Bratt brings to us By The Sea...there's a hint at the end in those notes!  I want to thank Netgalley and especially Kay Bratt for the honor and privilege of reading this continuation of a great series.  I loved it!   All opinions and thoughts in this review are my heartfelt own.  Maika'i nui loa.... (very, very good) five tropical stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Memories By Nancy Carey Johnson If I could fill my  Christmas stocking with goodies and stories it would be filled to over flowing...