Thursday, March 5, 2020


Stories We Never Told
By
Sonya Yoerg

"Life isn't a movie, her mother used to say, at least not one on the Hallmark channel. This must be what she meant." This book was maybe to the extreme of what Jackie is reminiscing about of her mother's thoughts on relationships. Definitely NOT Hallmark. This story is about relationships and twisted ones at that. Not just the way these characters interact with each other but what's going through their minds as well. There are several different ways these relationships connect and really about what they are. They are not what they seem. Jackie and Harlan. Jackie and Miles. Jackie and Grace. Jackie and Nasira. Jackie and Antonio. They are all individual but as the story develops, these all begin to intertwine into a complex thriller that I had no idea where it was taking me. And that's good!

The story is written in four different POV...but Jackie's is the main thread through all of the other characters. Each character is complex and well written. My feelings for each of them would change as fast as I turned the pages. I thought I would have them figured out and if I like or not like them. That would change again and again. Except for Jackie. She had my feelings all over the place but I was always pulling for her. "How is it possible to feel furious and devastated at the same time? Oh, and humiliated and heartbroken and gullible, too?" Each character has secrets. Some I never expected at all. Ms. Yoerg slowly and methodically wrapped me into an "as the plot thickens" story and kept me guessing. Secret feelings, secret relationships, secret sabotage, secret innuendoes....secrets, secrets, secrets....all twisting and turning. Who does Jackie trust? Can she even trust herself? Just when I thought things might work out for her, several twists I didn't expect are thrown in there. Wow!

This story has a mixture of all things that make a book a good read. Suspense, mystery, psychological and thrilling scenes, a touch of romance, revenge, unexpected surprises, drama to the max and a lot of "what's going to happen next?" I want to thank Lake Union, Netgalley and Sonya Yoerg for the honor of reading this book. All thoughts and opinions in this review are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Memories By Nancy Carey Johnson If I could fill my  Christmas stocking with goodies and stories it would be filled to over flowing...