Saturday, March 28, 2020


Paisley Memories
By
Zelle Andrews

Tess Cooper's life is nothing like a young 17 year old teen thought it would be. Her father and the only person who cared about her, supported her and loved her, has just died. The whispers at his funeral leave her feeling rejected and alone. All she has left is Paisley, her out-0f-wedlock daughter with Downs syndrome, her dad's rundown 1957 Thunderbird, her dad's lucky wheat penny, and the family photo album. Nothing to hold her to Brooksville, Alabama but hardships, mistakes and bad luck. She was leaving and not looking back.

But where is she headed? What is she going to do? Especially how is she going to support a child she doesn't feel adequate to raise? One with special needs. The challenges and responsibilities are heavy and her options are few. After a year "on the road" and going from place to place, Tess finds herself in the small beach town of Panacea, Florida. As fate would have it she's taken in by a woman named Butterball. Tess isn't very willing to be a "house guest" of Butterball and her "mini-feathered bowling balls with beaks" but she would only be there a week or two. Enough to make a few bucks and move on. Oh, but that's just the beginning of what happens to Tess. The beginning of a book I was drawn into from page one.

I loved the characters in this story. Tess is a bit self-centered at first but what teen isn't? She grew on me and my heart went out to her. Butterball is a hoot! I fell in love with her and her timely words and wisdom. Her quips and sense of humor are hilarious. Paisley is adorable. A little girl who wins the hearts of whomever she meets. Tess's best friend, Gabs is what a best friend is. There are so many characters in the story I felt connected to. I became a part of the little town they are in.

This story is written from Ms. Andrews' heart. She pulled at MY heart with Tess's story. There were so many passages that had me laughing out loud! Her humor is GREAT! There's a scene at the "Sopchoppy Worm Grunting Festival" (I didn't know there was such a thing!) that had me laughing so hard! Then there were parts of the story that were heart wrenching. Tess is running from a past that had so much heartache. ""I came here with Paisley trying to run from my past....But it's impossible to escape what you're running from when you bring it with you." There were surprises and a couple of twists I didn't expect. A wonderfully written story.

I enjoyed this book very, very much. I want to thank Ms. Andrews for the honor and opportunity to read this novel and for the gift of her story telling talents. I had such a good time reading it. It was an escape just when I needed it. A very special five star read for me. All opinions and thoughts in this review are my heartfelt own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Memories By Nancy Carey Johnson If I could fill my  Christmas stocking with goodies and stories it would be filled to over flowing...