Thursday, March 12, 2020


Carolyn's Song
By
Elizabeth Huss

It's been many, many years since I was a freshman in high school. Stepping into the pages of this book was like taking a jaunt down memory lane. Many of the situations, feelings, activities, friends, and classes are still essentially the same as they were back when I was that age. This story is about young girl, Lynn James, and her experiences as she begins her high school years at Trelawney High School.

It's intimidating enough to pass through the doors of the school into the freshman hall as it is, but then a request by Mrs. Pennington has Lynn delivering a white envelope to Mr. Zimmerman in the SENIOR hallway. What could ever happen to a freshman entering into the exclusive senior territory? There is the feeling of inferiority as Lynn walks through the gauntlet of senior eyes all challenging as to why she's in their terrain. But what happens when she delivers the envelope sets up the premise for the rest of the story.

Ms. Huss totally took me into the teen-challenged world of Lynn with her emotions, experiences, thoughts and a high school crush. From the locks on the locker that wouldn't open, to the bells that ring for classes knowing you're going to be late. Then there's the intercom that blares and static that we all remember. To the popular senior, Sandy, who is THE most popular dream guy in school, to hurt feelings of being disappointed and thinking she was stood up. All the issues that take place as young people live through their school years. This is one girl's story of maneuvering through the high school labyrinth that so many of us also went through. Then add her best friend, Patty, into the mix and it's a similarity for our own years in high school.

The characters in this book are totally relatable and I easily slipped back into my own high school years understanding what they were going through. The giddiness and the giggling made me think of my own best friend. The "wondering if he likes me" and "he's looking my way!" excitement. "Are you going to homecoming?" and "Do you want a ride?" questions that I also asked and was asked. This is a book I would definitely have no problem for my young teenage daughter to read. It's a sweet story that kept me interested and took me back to remember my own high school friends, teachers and what it was like being there.

Carolyn's Song is a book that I enjoyed walking down memory lane as I turned the pages but it's also one I believe a young teen girl will find interesting and entertaing. Friends, pep assemblies, football games, Homecoming, teachers and classes, favorite hangouts, and much more all come together to make this a book I would definitely recommend. I want to thank Ms. Huss for the honor of reading her book. All opinions and thoughts are my heartfelt own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Memories By Nancy Carey Johnson If I could fill my  Christmas stocking with goodies and stories it would be filled to over flowing...