Wednesday, January 8, 2020


The God Game
By
Danny Tobey

I accepted the invitation and opened the pages of The God Game. This book is intense and fast paced, just like I believe most gamers like their games to be. I really feel this book is geared more for a younger generation...maybe two or three generations than me...for sure. I had no idea what most of the techie/computer/gaming references even meant. But the premise of AI/virtual reality/reality clashing together into one thrilling scifi adventure comes together between the covers of this book.

I was able to find myself connecting to the "real-life" aspect of the characters in the group the five misfit protagonists who form a "one for all, all for one" group called The Vindicators. Together they accept the invitation to play the G.O.D game. It's just a game, right? Oh, does it ever turn into more than that. It's an RPG/Avatar game that becomes reality and not reality but it is. The all seeing eye of the AI God is everywhere. As these characters become deeper involved in the game the consequences become even more dire and winning the game becomes even more desperate.

The characters all have life issues that factor into the storyline as well. Issues that typical teens face in high school such as cliques, athletes, popularity, academic, even just finding a place to "fit in", etc. Each character has home life issues that play a part in reasons they "join" in the game to escape the pain and often time the humiliating life they live. I feel this book is one a late teen might connect with. And although I didn't understand a lot of the terms and what this game world is, the author kept the pace of the story moving and there was never a dull moment.

I received an advance copy from the publisher, St. Martin's Press. All the opinions and thoughts in this review are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Memories By Nancy Carey Johnson If I could fill my  Christmas stocking with goodies and stories it would be filled to over flowing...