Monday, December 16, 2019



Reckless Beginnings
By
Tina Hogan Grant
This is one of those books that really tears your heart apart. It's a novel based on the true life events of the author and as I was reading, it broke my heart to pieces as she unfolds the details. She took me into the depths of her life in ways that were personal and excruciating.

Tammy is a young teen who just wants to go to America and live the "American Dream". Her parents are divorced and her father goes to America but she has to remain in England where her parents believe she will be better with her mom. Tammy's father eventually offers for her to go to America and she's thrilled to accept. Her coworkers in England give her a special send off with some advice, "Tammy, may all your dreams come true in America. It's not going to be the same here without you. Be good to America and it will be good to you." Tammy is so excited to be in the United States and truly believes she will find true happiness. This is where the story becomes reality and the challenges and struggles begin for Tammy.

The "American Dream" became a nightmare for Tammy. This book took me into the deep, dark places she ended up in because of naïve and reckless choices. Choices made from trusting and believing the wrong people. Believing the best in the worst kinds of people who took advantage of her. Her relationships with her family suffered. Especially with her father. This broke my heart. All she ever wanted to do was please her dad and have him be proud of her.

The character of Tammy is so special and one I cared about from the beginning. She is someone I wanted nothing but great things for because she was such a compassionate and loving girl. Going through this novel and "living" the horrendous situations was devastating. I just wanted to jump in there and pull her to safety and hold her close. There are wonderful people who cross her path and make a difference. Then there are the users and losers you will really detest. This story ripped at my emotions and all I wanted was for Tammy to find her "American Dream" and her happy.

This book leaves me wanting to know "the rest of the story". It's one I'm very honored to have read. I couldn't put it down and turned the pages with all the hopes I know that Tammy hoped. I am looking forward to reading the sequel "Better Endings". I want to thank Tina Hogan Grant for the privilege of reading such an emotionally charged story and for the courage she had in putting it into a book like she has.

This is my heartfelt and honest review of an unbelievable story.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your beautiful honest review. It touched my heart. It was a book that at times was hard to write because I had to revisit a dark time in my life so that the emotions I was feeling during those times could resurface through my writing. It was a story that needed to be told to give other we omen hope. Better Endings which is book. 2 in the series will take you to a happier place ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and insight to this book. I can only imagine how delving back into the past was like cutting open emotions that you really didn’t want to experience again. The heart to share it with others in wanting them to have hope, speaks in the words of your book.

      Delete

Christmas Memories By Nancy Carey Johnson If I could fill my  Christmas stocking with goodies and stories it would be filled to over flowing...