Sunday, February 16, 2020


The Girl in the Lime Green Wellies
By
G.C. Allen
When anticipation of reading a book actually becomes reality of holding that book in your hands and opening the pages to read it, that is happiness! I'm HAPPY! I LOVE this series. I couldn't wait to read this book and continue from where book three, "The Girl in the Aubergine Sandals", left off. Again, knowing, but not knowing what to expect (other than a FANTASTIC read), that this was going to be another zany, unusual, quirky, and unique story by G. C. Allen. Where was Lorraine going to take me and what was going to happen? I was about to find out! Excitement!!

When the book opens, Lorraine is summoning an important figure from her past for help. What does she need help for? She's the most famous woman in the world after all! I didn't expect what her request was going to be or who was going to help her. I definitely wasn't prepared for the emotional impact it would have on my heart as I read the pages. It was a visit to the past. Both of Chesney's and Valerie's in two separate, parallel stories that G. C. Allen ingeniously crafts and invites me into a page turning, unputdownable "blast from the past" of each character.

In Chesney's portion of the story, I traveled to England with him and met back up with his Aunt Elinor who "gets" him and loves him as if he were her own son. She is so tender and loving to him and I actually feel the emotional connection they share. "She smiled at him, and he felt the warmth of her unconditional love wash away his anxieties." Chesney's introduction to England is one of a series of events that happens in just a few minutes. Just who is this "Girl in the Lime Green Wellies"? The time I spent with him learning the lingo and lots of English word references was part of the over all experience being along with Chesney. Chuffed, lorry, skiving, loo, little nip, elevensies, across the pond, trotters and so much more. What fun! But the main story had my heart. I laughed, I cried, I yearned, I dreaded. I loved. I was taken on the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. Chesney's story pulled at my heart in ways I didn't know it could go...all with the one-of-a-kind style G.C. Allen writes her series in.

Then there's Valerie's background story! Wow! From her father's beginnings in a war torn Italy to
his eventual landing in America and becoming his Piccola Principessa Valerie's father. She has him wrapped around her little finger. The premise of Valerie's story is planning for prom. Her perfect prom. Her teenager girl ideals on what her "perfect prom" is going to be. It's a plan she uses cunning, guile and her self-centeredness to achieve. There are her thoughts of how to "catch" a boy that had me rolling from laughter. Her experience at a dinner with her prom date at his parent's house was so funny! I had tears from laughing. Valerie is another one of G.C. Allen's characters from a mold of her own. These characters are like none other I have ever encountered.
Unforgettable!

I enjoy G.C. Allen's writing style and how it makes me feel. It's a feel good kind of read that goes in so many unexpected ways. This book is a bit different from the first three in that I had some very deep emotions from the characters that I hadn't experienced or expected. There is so much in this book that I can't begin to express how much I really hope other readers open up the series and are pulled into the world of Lorraine Innis. I am so totally glad that I did and "The Girl in the Lime Green Wellies" is even more reason I am. I highly recommend this series. This book is the best one yet!! I'm definitely the kind of a girl who loves Lorraine Innis and G. C. Allen. "That'll do yer good."

Thank you, G. C. Allen for the honor of reading this amazing book. All opinions and thoughts are my heartfelt own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Memories By Nancy Carey Johnson If I could fill my  Christmas stocking with goodies and stories it would be filled to over flowing...