Saturday, November 23, 2019


True to Me
By
Kay Bratt

"Aloha......Most mainlanders were under the impression that aloha was the word used for both "hello" and "goodbye". But the article stated it was much more, that aloha meant "love," "peace," and "compassion." More than a word, a life of aloha meant the heart was overflowing, and when using it, one should be sincerely happy to see the person they said it to." This passage from the book spoke to me. It's how I feel when I am going to pick up one of Kay Bratt's novels. My heart is happy and overflowing.

True to Me is another GREAT read written by the talented and amazing Kay Bratt. She has such a gift of bringing the reader on an emotional journey and adventure with her characters. In this book, the journey is with the character of Quinn Maguire. The story starts out with her mother's death bed confession that rocks Quinn's world. This revelation had me shocked right along with Quinn.

Quinn has been raised by a very loving mother who gave her a great childhood and losing her is such a tragic loss. Her mother's last wishes were to be taken back to her homeland of Maui, Hawaii and have her ashes scattered there. Quinn has always been a bit self insecure but she decides she needs to do this without her longtime boyfriend, Ethan. The journey of self discovery and who the person Quinn is begins at this point. Not only who she is but who her family is. I was fascinated by how DNA lineage was written into the plot. How it was used to solve the mystery of Quinn's family and who they were. Ms. Bratt took me into an emotional adventure in the pages of this book. I loved the characters and how they connected with each other. Even the not-so-likable Ethan. He is part of who Quinn became in the end. I met amazing characters who blended together and I became attached to them.

Kay Bratt writes stories from her heart. I become a part of them as I'm reading them. Quinn's story is no different. Quinn's story is one of finding herself and who she is. The unbelievable events in her life that take her to become who she is meant to be had me captivated. The setting in the book was picture perfect by the descriptive writing talent of Ms. Bratt. I have never been to Hawaii but I sure have been on a virtual visit with Quinn and her close friend, Liam. I experienced the different traditions, customs and ceremonial events. I felt the time honoring reverence of them. It all came together to Quinn being true to herself.

I am very grateful for the opportunity of reading this novel. Kay Bratt brings it every time with her heart and emotions that pour out on the pages. I love this book and whether I'm saying "Aloha" at the beginning or "Aloha" at the end, it's a fantastic read in between.

I want to thank Netgalley and Kay Bratt for my advanced review copy of this book. All opinions and thoughts are my heartfelt own.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Memories By Nancy Carey Johnson If I could fill my  Christmas stocking with goodies and stories it would be filled to over flowing...