Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Evening in the Yellow Wood
By
Laura Kemp
Evening in the Yellow Wood is a "hold-on-tight and don't let go" kind of a read! This book took me into the world of Justine Cook and her world was a place of unsolved myteries, unsolved murders, and unsolved questions of what really happened to Justine's father, Robert Cook. It was a thrill of a time searching with Justine for the answers. There is a lot going on in this novel and it never slows down.

Justine's father leaves (she feels abandoned) when she's only twelve years old on her birthday. He has left a gift for her with a card. She doesn't understand how a father could do this. One she's so attached to and loves so very much. She's angry and tears the card up and leaves the gift unopened.

The story then advances to ten years later and Justine sees her father in a newspaper photo. She knows she has to find him. She wants answers as to why he left her. This is where the story takes you on a wild and unforgettable ride into a world of secrets and mystery. A world of terror, shamans, old legends, mind reading, murders, paranormal visions, totems and symbolism. This book has so much that kept me running and holding my breath as I was holding onto my seat! I was "living" this story along with Justine and trying my hardest to get through the tangle of past versus present. It was a heart pounding, rushing adrenaline, don't close my eyes kind of a book. There was a romance aspect to the story that had me pulling for the characters in spite of all the obstacles and threats thown into the mix.

Ms. Kemp wrote a book that kept me awake reading. I could hear and feel a "bumps in the night" kind of feeling as I turned the pages. The story had the pictures in my head and my mind seeing the tricks of the visions so vividly because of the descriptive writing. I enjoyed this book very much...it holds a wonderful mix of things that make you go "YIKES" but also has a storyline with a romance that I loved. There are also so many humorous passages that gave me laughs.

"Except for the fact that I'm a liar who has paranormal visions that cause me to wander around and almost fall off breakwalls, a married ex-lover who has a tendancy to show up unannounced......and a crazy grandmother.......... . aside from that, Mrs. Locke-I'd be a perfect candidate for your son."

I am sufficiently breathing now and had a thrill of a read in this book. I want to thank Ms. Kemp for the copy of her suspenseful book that had my heart racing in so many places. It was GREAT! A five star thrill a page book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Memories By Nancy Carey Johnson If I could fill my  Christmas stocking with goodies and stories it would be filled to over flowing...